ABOUT THE SHOW
On Today’s show I speak with Dr. Lauren Tober. I’ve been following Lauren’s work for a while now, and while it always resonated with me, I wanted to have Lauren on the show to speak specifically about how we, as yoga teachers, can make our classes safer spaces for students with mental health concerns - which, as Lauren points out in the interview, is the vast majority of the people who show up for, and continue attending our classes.
Dr Lauren Tober is a Clinical Psychologist and Yoga Teacher with a passion for health, healing, happiness and awakening. She is the founder of the Centre for Mind Body Wellness in Mullumbimby (Australia), teaches Mental Health Aware Yoga trainings and runs several highly acclaimed online courses. Lauren believes that happiness is our true nature, and that yoga, gratitude, authenticity, compassion, creativity and community help us to cultivate happiness in our lives on an everyday basis.
I hope you enjoy the show!
- Why it’s important for yoga teachers to understand mental health
- Common ways that yoga can actually be counterproductive for students coming to manage their mental health, if not taught appropriately
- Navigating consent in class (which goes beyond physical touch)
- Practical ways we can create safer spaces in our yoga classes
- Specific considerations for supporting your students mental health when teaching online
- And Lauren’s approach to building a successful business over the last 5 years